Thursday 13 January 2011

My Music Magazine Cover!



The first thing I did before I started to work on my real cover, was to make a big note of all the ideas I wanted it to have. In my book I wrote them all down and drew a sketch of what I wanted my overall cover to appear similar to.


This was really useful because it helped all the ideas in my head come together! I used the 3 covers I had annotated before to contribute to my ideas, and even used some of their layouts that I thought worked really well! Because I had done such in depth research, I was able to see what worked well and what didn't work as well - especially for my specific audience!





The first part of creating my cover was to come up with a cover photograph, model and slight contradiction it could behold.


The first thing I thought of was the contradiction. Wildflies are wild, so I could have my model in a leopard print coat, which easily makes it's connection with the wild, and then have my model clutching the coat in and holding it tightly towards her neck which could resemble vulnerability and conservation, which goes against the normal ideas put across of 'wild'.


Once I had my costume sorted, I needed to find a model. I needed a girl who could be a really good role model for teens and young girls, but not be too old to increase the age of the target audience. I immediately thought of the model I had used for my school photographs, Ellie, because she was really well presented and looked really inspirational.


Now I had my costume and my model, I needed to find somewhere to photograph her! I could do what I had seen a lot of magazine covers do and take photographs of her in a studio with the fan blowing her hair and so on, but I wanted to do something different. Because my theme was wild, I thought it would make perfect sense to photograph Ellie by a tree, or even in one! I searched around me for places I could put her, and eventually found a really good spot. It was in a tree, but there was a place for her to sit so that she wouldn't feel too uncomfortable or be unsafe!


These are the photos I took;









Out of these 6 photogrraphs, the last one stands out for me. It's definately showing her making a connection with the audience, looking relaxed, but also conforming to the 'wild' contradictions I wanted.

I decided to use this one and so I began to edit it in adobe photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment