Tuesday 18 January 2011

ALBUM COVER (to feature on DPS)


To begin creating my album cover, I did some background research into the kinds of covers that were around at the moment. To make sure my research was subject to my band as oppose to a single artist, I looked into band's album covers.

Because I wanted to make my research as broad as possible, but still focusing on my girl audience, I did R&b and pop.

My analysis (in my book) showed me how the foreman on the cover is always the lead, and if the band is equal, the people tend to be very similar in distance away from the camera. I wanted my cover to be equal - even though Ellie features on my magazine, I don't want the band to be based around her. The text and font used on the covers (obviously) are all linked to the colour scheme and fit in nicely with the photograph's colours, rather than deterring the eye from it's point of focus (the artist).


I did an in depth analysis of each of the album covers so that I could work out what I wanted to achieve on my final album cover.


I decided before that I would like to use the photo of my 3 bandmates all together, with their backs turned.


This choice shows that they are all equal, with their own hidden identity (due to their faces not being visible) and also that there is more to them than meets the eye with the complicated interpretations there are for the way there is contact between the 3 in the photograph.

In my book I did a process analysis so that you can see exactly how I achieved my final cover.


I decided to put the cover in sepia after viewing The Killers' album cover which was in black and white. I did in fact first put my cover in black and white but it didn't look very effective. I then decided that I would change the colour to sepia because then it puts forward the idea that there is history between the trio. Sepia is a colour often associated with the past and old photographs, which is how I got to my previous interpretation. The history incinuation also leads to confusing people with the title even more!

I did an analysis of my final cover also in my book, so that all my reasoning for each of the different sections of the photograph get explained.




Here it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment